HomeBiographyContactAuthenticity CheckPurchasingLandscapesFloralSea ScapeWesternStill LifeModernPortraitsPrints


Many artists have recorded that they drew pictures in the margin of their schoolbooks as children.  Wallace Fisher didn’t do that—not that he was a goody goody—he just had bigger ideas.  Living across the street from his school, he decided one weekend to do some artwork for the school…on the side of one of the school buildings.  He was so happy with his work that he decided to sign it—IN LARGE PRINT, of course.  He was rewarded Monday with a bucket, some sudsy water, brushes, sponges, and other janitorial supplies, and then told very sternly by his teacher to get the wall cleaned off!  The pleasant part of this memory for him is that another teacher observed the artwork and handed Wally a stack of drawing paper, telling him to use the paper from then on.  Wally did use the paper, and that teacher took some of his drawings to the school principal, a Russian, who promptly contacted Wally’s parents.  Wally worried!  At the meeting, the Russian matriarch proposed that Wally be sent to an art school with the three “R’s” on the side.  Fisher’s parents promptly declined, not viewing art as a real job!


Relentlessly, Wally continued with his passion.  He won his first awards at age 11 and was exhibited nationally at age 12.  In high school he took the “one semester” drawing and painting class six times.  His instructor solicited seventeen scholarships for Wally.  Once again his parents discouraged him, not seeing art school as a real education.  Wally attended a state college—to his own dismay.  It was the 1950’s, and the colleges were cemented in the era of modern art—junk—funk—op—pop—expressionism, and every other “ism” they could come up with.  Wally had a problem…he was traditional!  He left school and haunted museums, spending countless hours studying Rembrandt, Constable, and the Hudson River and Barbizon Schools among others.

Fisher’s first studio was only 7x9 feet.  In order to observe a large painting, he had to back into the dining room.  This cramped situation prompted much outdoor painting.  Although his present studio is over 900 square feet, he still prefers to do many larger works outside.  He explained it this way, “With no walls bumping your elbows, a 30x40 canvas seems so much smaller (providing the weather permits)!”  After painting in Plein Air for more than thirty years, he favored sizes around 22x28.   His main medium was oils.  His largest outdoor work was a 4x8 foot landscape done in Irvine Park.

Fisher’s career brought numerous awards and collectors.  He taught and demonstrated for over fifty Southland associations.  He resided in Big Bear, California from 1980 until his untimely death in 2003—painting the various moods of the mountains, trees, creeks, and the family garden.

If you would like further information about Wallace Fisher or his art, please feel free to contact us.  For collectors, and owners of Wallace Fisher originals, a Certificate of Authenticity can be purchased after sufficient proof and assessment has been completed.


Fisher enjoyed outdoor painting as well as in his studio.